Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Shawn Reviews Josh Howard’s T-Bird & Throttle #2



This weekend I got my digital copy of Josh Howard’s T-Bird & Throttle #2. And after reading it I can honestly say it’s one of the best comics of 2019.

Before T-Bird & Throttle #2 picks up where #1 left off, we get a look at the early days after the engine embedded itself in Mitch’s chest. In these flashback sequences we get a look at Mitch’s past at Starlink, his relationship with his wife and a fun sequence that takes jabs at superhero costumes over the years. The leg belts, pouches and straps costume will have you laughing about the all the 90s outrageousness we all thought was cool over 25 years ago. 

 Josh does a brilliant job delving deeper into the mysteries of the character’s pasts before taking us back to the present where Mitch is recovering from the beating he received from the hipsters and SJWs at the end of T-Bird & Throttle #1. After waking up in his former partner Amy’s apartment, we find out what’s troubling Mitch. As the comic progresses we get more insight into what drives Mitch to be a hero these days and how it ties to the mysteries regarding the engine, Emily’s troubles at school and her strained relationship with her father, and some clues to the mysteries regarding Mitch’s work at Starlink. I don’t want to give anything away, THIS COMIC IS TOO GOOD TO SPOIL.

I’ll just say we finally find out who Gruesome is. And what he does to people ain’t pretty.

Oh, and Josh takes a brilliant shot at modern day SJWs in a sequence with Emily at school, along with some great advice on how to deal with them from her new friend Kat. Is she related to Amy? Guess we’ll have to wait until the next issue to find out.

T-Bird & Throttle #2 is a GREAT comic, delving deeper into the mysteries set up in issue #1 and Issue #0. This is the kind of comic I used to pick up regularly on the newsstand every Friday morning before I went to school and the kind of comic that had me counting down the days until I could get my hands on the next issue after I read it at lunch. There’s a lot of heart, soul on the pages of T-Bird and Throttle #2 and you can see how much love Josh puts in this story. The visuals in this comic are POWERFUL, and every time you read it you’ll find something new to look at.   

You definitely want to pick up T-Bird & Throttle. Josh Howard has presented comic storytelling at its finest with this series.

With the way T-Bird & Throttle #2 ended I’m definitely saving money up to get the third issue! And this time I’m getting myself paper comics, this is one series I want to add to my collection!


No comments:

Post a Comment