Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Thursday, April 18, 2019

John Haynes: The Man With Nothing To Lose Cover Concept #1

-->

Decided to break out the custom action figures to design a cover concept for the upcoming John Haynes: The Man With Nothing to Lose.














I was looking at some images of the late Patrick Macnee and Dame Diana Rigg portraying John Steed And Emma Peel from The UK’s Avengers TV series and I got inspired. Steed and Peel represented the image of a power couple in these images. 
And I thought an Black man and a Black woman standing together back to back would represent an image of strength, confidence and power when it was presented on the cover.

I had to make a few changes to the composition of the figures to tell my own story about Black-on-Black love John’s fist up shows his strength as a man ready to take a stand and fight for what’s right, and E’steem’s hand glowing with light shows how she inspires him to keep fighting. As I see it when a Black woman is standing by her Black man he’s a man with nothing to lose, because he knows she’ll have his back.

This is the cover concept I’m the most eager to see rendered by a professional comic artist. I think it tells a POWERFUL story of Black-on-Black love and is the kind of image that shows how John and E’steem are the power couple in the SJS DIRECT Universe.

I’ve got a more action oriented cover concept I’m sketching out in my imagination with John facing off against The Block, a villain inspired by rapper Notorious B.I.G. In that concept I’m imagining John is facing off against one of his former bullies in the Junior High school lot one last time. I’m hoping to get that one on paper soon.

John Haynes: The Man With Nothing to Lose is in the middle of its second draft and I’m hoping to have it available by 2020. Until then you can pick up the first book in the John Haynes series: John Haynes: A Conversation With Death at Amazon in Paperback or KindleUnlimited. And you can get caught up on John’s story by picking up the book that started it all TheTemptation of John Haynes and its sequel The Man Who Rules The World on Amazon.com in paperback and  e-readers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment