Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Thoughts on the Captain Marvel Trailer


 Just Saw the Captain Marvel Trailer. And from what I saw I can honestly say this is going to be Marvel Studios first major flop.


From the trailer Captain Marvel doesn’t feel like a Marvel Studios movie. It looks and feels like a bland and generic. Like a CW Show. That’s not what you want in a movie with a $100 million plus budget. Wonder Woman this ain’t.


Basically Captain Marvel is gonna be Marvel’s version of CW’s Supergirl. And I don’t mean fun Season 1 Supergirl. It’s gonna be feminist Season 3 SJW Supergirl, the one with no personality, no soul and no heart. The one who spends all her time preaching to the audience and complaining about her life.  


Captain Marvel’s story looks like the usual one Hollywood trots out when they write their so-called “Strong” heroines. Woman crashes out of the sky, doesn’t know who she is and spends most of the movie trying to figure out her past while she prepares to take on whatever big menace she has to confront in the third act.


Very disappointing when you consider that Captain Marvel has been hyped up to be the planet moving super badass who is supposed to be helping the Avengers take on Thanos. The character presented in this trailer doesn’t do anything to make the viewer believe that she’s someone who can be a cosmic level hero or even a threat capable of challenging Thanos in Avengers 4.


Then there’s Brie Larson. From what I saw onscreen Brie Larson has the personality of a block of wood. And I don’t mean natural wood. I mean the pressed sawdust wood you get in IKEA furniture. Yeah, Larson has an Oscar, but in the role of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel She has no screen presence, no personality and no “voice” that makes you believe she’s a superhero. She doesn’t radiate any of the confidence and charisma that Robert Downey Jr. does when he portrays Iron Man or Chris Evans does when he plays Captain America. She has no energy that engages the audience. Watching Brie Larson is like watching a CORPSE onscreen.


Maybe she’d do better playing Janey Belle in a Zombie Tramp Movie. But I doubt Dan Mendoza would want to have someone as TERRIBLE as Larson playing his villainess.


The big problem with Captain Marvel’s trailer is that it just makes you feel indifferent. Unlike Captain America: Civil War or previous MCU movies like Iron Man that got you excited with all the badass action sequences, Captain Marvel doesn’t have a single scene in its trailer that makes you say I WANT TO SEE THIS. After I got through watching this trailer, I was feeling…MEH.


And MEH is not a feeling a movie studio wants viewers, especially longtime comic fans to have about the superhero movie leading up to what’s supposed to be the Grand Finale to the MCU, Avengers 4.


The way things look right now from that trailer Captain Marvel is to the MCU what the Force Awakens was to Star Wars. And I’m hoping Avengers 4 isn’t Marvel’s Last Jedi. With the rumors of alternate realities and time travel, I have to wonder if Captain Marvel is just a precursor to a film that could be Disney’s biggest failure since The Black Cauldron.



It’s clear to me from what I saw in the Captain Marvel trailer that the wheels are falling off the MCU bus. And if these frames are the best parts of Captain Marvel, then Marvel Studios first film with a female lead could possibly be its last.    

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for
    this site? I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and
    I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would
    be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, for all time i used to check web site
    posts here early in the break of day, for the reason that i
    love to gain knowledge of more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very energetic article, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?

    I mean, what you say is important and all. But think of if
    you added some great photos or videos to give your posts more, "pop"!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this blog could certainly
    be one of the very best in its niche. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very pleased to find this great site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this wonderful
    read!! I definitely appreciated every bit of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to see new information in your website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good article. I definitely appreciate this
    website. Continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm guessing the novelty of "live-action superheroes" is beginning to wear off for you?

    ReplyDelete