Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Progress Report on the Shawn James Inititative

I haven’t had much time to write blogs over the last few weeks. That’s because I’ve been busy working on editing my new nonfiction book THE MAN CRISIS. Now that I’m closer to the finish line on that book I’ve got a chance to do a progress Report. And this one details my work on the Shawn James initiative this summer.
Back in May when I was on Obsidian Radio we talked about the Shawn James initiative. And thanks to all the brothers donating money on Patreon and Paypal, I was able to get a Verizon ellipsis jet pack and have the home internet that allowed me to do the show. And over the last few months I’ve been working on pursuing the goals as related to the initiative.
The second goal was helping me upgrade my equipment by getting a new Macbook Pro. And I was able to pick up a 2012 Macbook Pro on eBay. This new Macbook has a quad-core processor, 15” matte HD screen, 16 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive. With the solid state drive, this computer up boots in less than 2 seconds!
It’s twice as powerful as the 13-inch 2011 Macbook Pro that I do my videos and write my books on. That machine is showing its age; I just replaced the Superdrive that broke in 2017.
The reason why I picked up a 2012 Macbook Pro because it still had upgradeable architecture and would still allow me to work with things like Smartphones iPads and digital cameras. The new 
2016-2018 Macbooks have memory chips soldered to the motherboards, glued in batteries and no ports for things like USB keys or SD cards or network cables. As an A+ Certified IT Technician, I know that it’s cheaper to replace parts than replace an entire unit, and the older Macbooks allow me to replace parts or add on parts if I want to upgrade the unit.
I’m in the process of transferring my files to the new laptop and working out on getting the software up to date. Right now I have to get new Adobe software to do books on, new font software and download the new iMovie from the App Store to edit videos.
Now that I’ve got the laptop I’m working on getting a new smartphone and service. I’m looking at the iPhone SE and trying to see what providers can give me a deal on service. Hoping to get a new phone soon so I can do some vlogs and outdoor videos!
I want to thank all the brothers out there who donated to the Shawn James initiative. I appreciate all your help and support and I want everyone to know that I know how hard all of you work for your money so that’s why I want to be as transparent as possible. As I work towards completing the goals of the initiative and working towards launching the books of the SJS DIRECT fall catalog like THE MAN CRISIS I want everyone to know that if it wasn’t for your help I wouldn’t been able to do complete this initiative and take those steps towards moving myself forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment