Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All About Delays

A few days ago in the blog Anatomy of a cover I sneak previewed the All About Nikki cover. I promised it would be available at online retailers in June.

Unfortunately, the book will be postponed until further notice.

Usually I only release one book per year. This year I wanted to increase my productivity to two books, but being between other projects (other people’s books) I’m taking a break from my own books to help those authors get the best quality products on the market.

The book isn’t too far back in the production queue; All About Nikki is 95-99 percent complete. Pages are laid out, the cover is designed, and the press release is written. I only have to buy the ISBN, barcode, go through one more round of proofreads and assemble the PDFs. Easy stuff, but I want to take my time with it and do it right.

All About Nikki is a project dear to my heart. What started out as a simple companion to the All About Marilyn screenplay has evolved and snowballed into something very unique and special for me. I want to make sure it’s the best quality possible. I wrote Nikki specifically for a Young Adult audience (8-14 year olds) and painstakingly took care to make the book as child friendly as possible. My goal with the book is to get those teens and tweens who watch shows like Suite Life of Zack& Cody, That’s so Raven, Hannah Montana, True Jackson V.P, Wizards of Waverly Place, High School Musical and all those cable shows thinking about careers behind the camera of their favorite shows. Maybe even inspire them to start writing their own scripts and making their own YouTube Videos. With only two percent of African-Americans writing screenplays, everyone needs to do more to encourage little brothers and sisters towards focusing on careers behind the camera instead of in front of it.

While I can’t release the All About Nikki book right now, I’m hoping to get it in print later in the year or sometime next year.

1 comment:

  1. Go Shawn. You're coming along nicely as an artist, and thanks so much for the explanations about Marilyn Marie. This was very interesting for me to read.

    ReplyDelete