Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Plagarism Pisses Me Off

Recently, I found out some jerk took my amazon review for Why Did I Get Married Too and passed it off as their own on IMDB. I immediately reported this to their administrators and I hope they delete it off their page.

I know that when you put your writing on the net, anyone can read it. I also understand that anyone can copy what they see on the web and use it in any way they wish. But it boils my blood when someone takes my writing and tries to pass it off as their own. It shows a lack of talent and a lack of class. I put a lot of hours into my writing and a lot of years into developing my web presence, and it pisses me off when someone steals something I’m trying to share with readers and presents it as something they wrote.

So to all those who read my writing: Whether it’s a blog post, my reviews on amazon, or an excerpt from one of my books, if you cut and paste it onto another site or use it without giving me credit or a link, it’s plagiarism.

Knowing how to use Ctrl +X and Ctrl+V do not make you a writer. It only means you have a rudimentary knowledge of how to use Microsoft Windows. And that’s not going to take you far in the writing world. Sooner or later you are going to get caught like Jayson Blair, James Frey or Kaavya Viswanathan.

Taking someone else’s writing and passing it off as your own is not writing. It’s stealing. If I find out anyone is doing this with any of my work I will report it to the webmaster or whoever is in charge of that site. Furthermore I will ask them to remove the writing citing Federal copyright laws.

If anyone in cyberspace wants to use my materials, please ask for my permission through an e-mail, private message on IMDB, or by contacting me through the comments section of my blog. My blog is clearly listed on my amazon profile page. There’s no reason to steal from me. I’m willing to share my work on any forum if I’m given credit for it.

There will be another Blog this Saturday night. It will be 100% written by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment