Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Shawn reaches out to Comic fans


I’ve been a comic fan for over 35 years. One of the reasons I started writing when I was nine years old was in the hopes that one day I’d be able to write comic books.

Now I’ve been very critical of the comic book industry. And I’ve only been so harsh because I care deeply about saving the comic book business. I want to see the industry break out of this two-decade slump and get back to producing quality stories that will allow a new generation of younger readers to access the characters I grew up with.

But until comic book publishers get their act together and start publishing quality stories again, I’m urging all the comic fans out there to not only try other forms of literature. Like my African-American fantasy fiction.
m
I’ve been told by friends and family that my stories read like comic books. Some even say they read like movies. I’ve even had readers finish my novels in just a day or two. Most people enjoy my work.

And I’d like to think comic fans would enjoy them as well.

If I had more money, Isis would have been a
comic book or a graphic novel! 
I originally wrote the first Isis story in the hopes of turning it into a comic book. And the concept behind Marilyn Marie and Nikki Desmond from the All About Marilyn/All about Nikki screenplay books was inspired by the dual lives of superheroes and their secret identities.

I’d like to take this time to reach out to comic fans who are frustrated with the direction most comic book publishers like Marvel and DC have gone in over the past two decades. I’d like to give them an opportunity to try something different. Instead of reading comics that promise bold new eras and continue to deliver the same stale stories, I want to offer readers an opportunity to go in a brand new direction.

My fantasy fiction is priced about the same as a comic book or a trade paperback. But I feel they offer readers a higher entertainment value per dollar than today’s 32-page comic book.

$5.99 for 100 pages!


For $5.99 readers can try the paperback versions of the new books in the Isis series like Isis: Trial of the Goddess, Isis: Amari’s Revenge,  Isis: The Ultimate Fight and Isis: The Beauty Myth. For a little more than the price of a 32-page comic book, I offer readers a complete 65-100page story in one volume.

And for the price of a comic trade paperback I offer full-length books featuring African-American fantasy fiction for just $13 readers can pick up the original 164 page edition of Isis. It’s the book that started my writing and publishing career and one of my top selling books over the past decade.

400 pages for $15! 
And for $15.00 readers can buy a paperback edition of The Temptation of John Haynes. Temptation is a 400 page novel filled with rich multi-dimensional characters and a great story I think many comic readers will enjoy.

If comic readers have a Kindle, ipad, Nook or other tablet device or cell phone they can buy any of my titles in all the eBook formats for just 99 cents at amazon, Barnes & Noble, the itunes bookstore, or Smashwords!

I’d like to offer comic fans an alternative to the countless reboots, retcons, relaunches, and other gimmicks comic publishers use to sell comics today. A chance to read stories that entertain, educate, and inspire readers to use their imaginations. Most of my stories are designed to be all-ages reading that’s easy to access and easy to follow. Every story is an entry point and every story starts and finishes in one volume. If you’re a comic reader and you’re tired of 100 issue epic storylines that are impossible to get into unless you know the entire history of a comic book universe, then give one of my paperbacks or eBooks a try. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Hello There,
    My name is Melisa and I'm a Professional Blogger. I have more than 3+ yrs of experience writing for the web and have covered plenty of interesting topics.
    I came across your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in allowing me to write relevant & useful topics on your blog at no cost.
    At this point of my writing career, I simply want to get more visibility for my writing and I will write for free as long as you are fine with me adding a small author bio section following the blog post about myself.
    Please let me know if you are interested and if you'd like for me to submit a sample blog post for your approval.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Melisa

    ReplyDelete