Support Shawn's writng with a donation

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Shawn Reviews Dynamite’s Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella #2



I was looking forward to buying Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella on Wendesday. Unfortunately I had an ordeal getting a digital copy.


When I went over to the Dynamite’s website to get an official copy, Issue #1 was up at a reduced price, but Issue #2…just wasn’t there. Now I got Issue #1 there on the day of release on Dynamite’s website. But Issue #2 was a chore to find on a digital platform. I had to go all the way over to Comixology .com to pick up a digital copy. With the DRM attached to the comic I’m stuck with a comic I can’t download to a laptop as a .PDF. This is why I wanted to buy my comics at Dynamite’s website!


A note to Dynamite’s Editorial Team:
If people buy the first issue at your website, they want to pick up the second one there as well. I like your comics, and I want to buy more of them. Please don’t make it hard for me to spend my money!


If my customers can buy an SJS DIRECT paperback and digital edition of Legendary Mad Matilda at online booksellers on the day of sale, I should be able to do the same at Dynamite’s website when a new comic comes out too! 


Issue #2 picks up where issue #1 left off, with Cassie and Vlad facing off against the demon the Blood Red Queen of Hearts left them with. The demon has Cassie and Vlad on the ropes. Cassie has a plan to stab the demon in the nuts but demons have no nuts. Thankfully Vampirella comes along to save the day.


With the demon dispatched, our heroes head down to Vampi’s room and we learn more about this Blood Red Queen of Hearts. While she explains the history of the Blood Red Queen to Cassie and Vlad, and their connection to her, Vampi quickly changes out of the dowdy street clothes she wore in the first issue into the CLASSIC and ICONIC red one piece everyone knows. Vlad’s first reaction to it is to…faint.


I guess he was dumbfounded by her beauty.


After Cassie, Vlad and Vampirella get in the van and head down to an abandoned warehouse. There they run into a few more demons that they dispatch of easily. But the Blood Red Queen of Hearts has a surprise for Cassie that leads into a plot twist that sets up the big showdown between Cassie and Vampi everyone’s been waiting for. I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ISSUE!


The Second issue of Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella was rock solid in its buildup of the story from the first issue. The action and the pacing of the story were well done, and the character interactions were FUN. I really enjoyed the chemistry between Vlad and Vampirella, and the banter between Cassie and Vlad had some humorous moments. Writer Shawn Aldridge does a great job with the story on Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella and Rapha Lobosco’s art is top notch. This comic was just as much fun as many of the comics I used to buy in the late 1980s from the newsstand in Times Square. The plot twist at the end sets up the showdown of showdowns and I’m definitely buying the next issue in 30 days!


You definitely have to pick up the second issue of Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella. This is the miniseries you definitely DO NOT WANT TO MISS!

2 comments:

  1. I'd say Cassie dresses worse than Vampirella does. Wearing jeans with high boots can be stylish though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie has always dressed scruffy Ad. She rocks the Industrial Goth style.

      Delete