Roughing out some character designs for Isis: No Goddess is an Island with AI.
Decided to use CHATGPT to do some concept art for my upcoming 2027 book Isis: No Goddess is an Island. Normally I’d be drawing out these concepts. However, I can’t draw that well. And with this story being set in 1910, I don’t have that great a handle on drawing clothes from the Gilded Age.
Now I’ve been writing my stories for over 35 years without any digital assistance. It comes straight from my head. But I got some digital assistance for this art so I can draw out my own concept art. With this being a different kind of Princess story I decided to do the art in a Disney Animated Style.

First up is a concept of 1910 era Isis. The goddess is dressed in a custom-tailored walking suit and hat in her favorite color of periwinkle. In her mortal alias as Andrea Thomas Robinson, she’s a freshman college student on Spelman’s campus. She’s working under the cover a Black woman from a wealthy Black Bourgeoise family. As she begins her service to mankind as a goddess she’s looking to learn about life as a Negro woman and the struggles of Negro people.

Next up is a concept of Isis’ best friend Alma Blackfoot. A well-educated Native American woman from New York’s Iroquois nation, A Chieftain's Daughter, (what White people would call an Indian Princess) Alma speaks the king’s English but is proud of her tribal heritage. Alma meets Isis on the train ride to Spelman College. There they talk about the plights of the Negro and Native Americans during Jim Crow and their plans to help their people as they get their educations.
For Alma’s design I wanted to go for a working class look. So she’s wearing a black walking suit and a black hat. I wanted the hat to pay tribute to the late Tom Laughlin’s Billy Jack, and her demeanor and presence to pay homage to that character in the design.

Now a Princess movie wouldn't be complete without a prince. And the perfect prince for a Spelman woman is a Morehouse Man. A descendant of slaves and the son of a sharecropper Earl Travis is the first one to go to college. As a freshman student at Morehouse, Earl is a working class Black man who is dressed for his future success. He's ready to move past a life of backbreaking work on the plantation to building a better life for himself as he goes out on his own. Could a relationship with Isis be in that future?
For Earl's design I wanted to show him as a young handsome working class man in his best suit. Wanted to show how many Black men in that time looked their best doing work about town.

Following that is a concept of the girls together as they stand outside of the Atlanta Train station waiting to go to the Spelman Campus. How will they get to the college? You’ll have to read Isis: No Goddess Is an Island in 2027!
Like E’steem: The Sands of Time, Isis: No Goddess Is an Island is a different kind of Princess story. Egyptian Gods, Black History, Black College life, and big Black killer robots named LEON come together for a fun story featuring the Goddess next door in the Gilded Age.
No comments:
Post a Comment